Assassinated Dr. George Tiller’s blood may indeed be on the hands of conservative commentators like Bill O’Reilly of Fox News.
Media Matters for America has been out in front of this issue reminding O’Reilly and others of how his words were so dangerous.
Here are some of O’Reilly’s words (prior to the vicious assassination of Dr. Tiller by what appears to be a right-wing anti-abortion extremist).
- “In the state of Kansas, there is a doctor, George Tiller, who will execute babies for $5,000.”
- “For $5,000, ‘Tiller the Baby Killer’ – as some call him – will perform a late-term abortion for just about any reason.”
- “Tiller has killed thousands, thousands of late-term fetuses without explanation.”
- “No question, Dr. Tiller has blood on his hands.”
- ” ‘Tiller the Baby Killer’ out in Kansas, acquitted, acquitted today of murdering babies.”
- “This guy will kill your baby for $5,000, any reason. Any reason.”
- “If we allow Dr. George Tiller and his acolytes to continue, we can no longer pass judgment on any behavior by anybody.”
- “If we allow this, America will no longer be a noble nation.”
Hateful words can inspire unstable people to commit violent acts. What O’Reilly did and said, over and over again, went beyond just being an anti-abortion person who opposed Dr. Tiller’s work.
Read between the lines of those comments to see the hate and anger.
I am not saying O’Reilly wanted Dr. Tiller murdered. I am not saying that at all. But, look at O’Reilly’s actions since the murder of Dr. Tiller. He hardly seems bothered by the fact that the man, who performed legal medical procedures for women, was murdered in cold blood by what appears to be an act of domestic terrorism. In fact, O’Reilly has spent even more time aggressively bashing the assassinated Dr. Tiller (albeit with far-less volatile language).
Bill O’Reilly is continuing to bash a dead man.
Why is he continuing to bash Dr. George Tiller?
Is he trying to shake himself off the hook of responsibility, or is he motivated by something else?